How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27640
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband works out of state and I live in Illinois. I just

Customer Question

My husband works out of state and I live in Illinois. I just finished a year and a half of cancer treatments and I am not working. He didn't send me any money this past week from his paycheck. I don't know what to do or who to go to for help. Can he just quit giving me money like that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Have you contacted him about this? If so, what did he say? Also, to be clear, you are married and the money being send is voluntary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I am unable to speak with you now but can answer your question if you can respond to my information request above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have been married for 16 years. He wants me to send him a credit card check in the amount of 2800.00. Or I can live on credit cards until he gets enough money to buy himself a truck.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. As his spouse, you should have access to the bank account and/or use of the credit cards, to meet your needs. Absent a court order, you can not legally force him to send you cash or take it from his paycheck and for that to happen, you would need a court order. Moreover, he should not leave you with any money, which you need for at least your basic needs, so if this is an issue and he works out of State and there are problems, you may want to consider divorce and asking to be awarded alimony.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I get an emergency order by myself?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
For what? Money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes as I have none for the basic as well as a lawyer.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
This is a martial issue, not something the court is going to get involved with or the Judge will sign. For that to happen, there needs to be a filing of divorce or legal separation. As I shared above, you should have access to the bank accounts. If not, then you shared he is allowing you to use the credit cards, so those should allow you to purchase food and other necessities. Now, if you have access and permission to use the credit cards, you can also walk into the bank and obtain a cash advance, to get money, if he is not providing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else. If not, please rate my efforts at this time, so I can receive the proper credit. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions