Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband resently spanked my step son with a belt it was…

Customer Question
my husband resently spanked my...
my husband resently spanked my step son with a belt it was one pop his mother the next day took him to the hospital and made a report of bruises on his bottem the marks were gone in 2 days but she saying he done it but the child lives with us this happened over 2 months ago and he still stays with us and we haven't even been questioned by an officer so what do we do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/26/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have not been questioned and she has been avoiding the investigator and lying to them, then the investigator will generally close the case.
Under SC law 63-7-20, regarding child abuse the following acts are excluded from being considered abuse:
"excluding corporal punishment or physical discipline which:
Is administered by a parent or person in loco parentis
Is perpetrated for the sole purpose of restraining or correcting the child
Is reasonable in manner and moderate in degree
Has not brought about permanent or lasting damage to the child
Is not reckless or grossly negligent behavior by the parents."
Thus, correcting a child with one pop with the belt is not considered abuse and even if they were to investigate and if she was cooperating, chances are the case would be closed.