Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Subject: DivorceThe opposing party

Customer Question
Subject: Divorce The opposing party...

Subject: Divorce The opposing party ("Wife," also in this case the Petitioner) charges the "Defendant" a $1,500.- penalty for having dismissed her former out-of-state case, because the "Defendant" decided to stay married. Yet, the "Wife's" own lawyer confided to the "Defendant" that the former out-of-state-case had to be dismissed so as to allow the "Wife" to submit herself to the jurisdiction of the "Defendant's" State of residence. The "Defendant" feels it is an unjustified charge. I would appreciate your opinion! Thanks, ***** *****

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/26/2015
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 3 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardTo be clear1 - A divorce was filed in the state of the Petitioner/wife?2 - You then had it dismissed and it was re filed or will be re filed in your state of residence?3 - The "penalty" is an attorney's fee incurred due to the change and re filing?