How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister won't leave my house she has changed the lock on

Customer Question

my sister won't leave my house she has changed the lock on my spare bedroom and has been sneaking her boyfriend in through her window i have asked them to leave so many times my sister has been there longer then a month and has destroyed my house, i mean i am fed up with taking care of these people they eat all my food, i work and they don't they are not on my lease i want them outta my house they fight a lot and the cops have came twice i don't know what else i can do i am kinda scared because they are both crazy and carry knives and they have made it impossible for me to come home to my house and have peace.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Do they pay rent or have a lease?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no they do not pay rent and they are not on the lease
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and thank you for responding so quickly.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for the information.
Even if they don't pay rent, they will be considered month-to-month tenants, which means that you'll have to give them 30 days notice to vacate, and if they are not out of the property by the end of the 30 day period, you will have to proceed with filing an unlawful detainer/eviction action against them and get a court order directing them to vacate.
That's the only way you can get them out short of them voluntarily leaving.