Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Divorce Parent financial obligation 0ver 18. My daughter is 22 and is a full

Customer Question
Divorce Parent financial obligation for...
Divorce Parent financial obligation for children 0ver 18. My daughter is 22 and is a full time student in collage. She is not married and her father stopped helping her financially at the age of 18 does, she have the right to claim financial help from her father until 26.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/25/2015
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Under PR law, Child Support is payable until 21 years of age. A minor may be emancipated prior to reaching the age of majority by virtue of marriage, judicial decree or parental consent, if child is beyond 18 years old.
Support beyond the age of majority could be ordered only by the court if the child is a full time student, maintains good academic progress and can demonstrate economic needs to justify continuation of support.
That means your daughter would need to sue and bring the matter to court and show that she is not able to work and be in school at the same time and has no way of supporting herself.
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law