How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mkc1959 Your Own Question
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 616
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mkc1959 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a grandson who fathered a baby daughter on a first date basis.

Customer Question

I have a grandson who fathered a baby daughter on a first date basis. Baby's mother contacted my grandson a few months before baby's birth to inform him he was to be a new daddy. He stayed in touch with the mother and sent money to help with expenses. Birth was a C-section so surgery/birth date was preset. Grandson flew to Ohio from Florida to be present for the birth. Both parents welcomed their new daughter and agreed to share custody of baby. Baby's father (Austin) and baby's mother (Heather) spent 2 days together in hospital taking care of little Harper. Austin , after becoming very attached to Harper was forbidden to enter the hospital to see baby again. Austin being very disappointed finally went home. After the mother returned home Austin arranged a second visit to see Harper. This time he bought his own paternity test and confirmed that Harper was indeed his daughter. Question: How does he establish legal parental rights. Heather is now making excuses about allowing Austin
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 2 years ago.
Was Austin listed as the father on the child's birth certificate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the name was established and the birth certificate was done during the time Austin was forbidden to enter the hospital.
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 2 years ago.
You have two possible approaches. Any administrative or legal action will need to take place in Florida.
You can look at:
That website will help you understand that your grandson will either need to (a) get an administrative order from the Florida Department of Revenue, or (b) get a court order from the District Court where the child lives.
The least expensive approach will be to ask for the Florida Department of Revenue to establish your grandson's paternity through the administrative approach.
If other issues can be worked out between your grandson and the mother, again, this would be the least expensive approach.
If the mother is going to continue to resist any visitation with the child by your grandson, then he may have to get a court order. See,
This link:
will guide you to the closest office for the Florida Department of Revenue.

Related Family Law Questions