How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend has her mother in a coma in a hospital in Arizona

Customer Question

A friend has her mother in a coma in a hospital in Arizona after a motorcycle wreck. Her mothers husband was killed in the accident, so there is no one to make medical of financial decisions. Her mother is a resident of Kansas and it is not known when she will be able to make decisions for herself. Can my friend go to court in KS and get a power of attorney without her mother signing?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
If your friend is the only living child, she is automatically the Next of Kin and so all medical decisions would have to go through her.
However, if she is not then she should consider filing a Petition for Guardianship and Power of Attorney, etc. A local Kansas Estate Attorney should be able to do it and get it down under an emergency basis.

Related Family Law Questions