Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

A friend has her mother in a coma in a hospital in Arizona…

Customer Question
A friend has her mother...
A friend has her mother in a coma in a hospital in Arizona after a motorcycle wreck. Her mothers husband was killed in the accident, so there is no one to make medical of financial decisions. Her mother is a resident of Kansas and it is not known when she will be able to make decisions for herself. Can my friend go to court in KS and get a power of attorney without her mother signing?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/22/2015
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 3 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
If your friend is the only living child, she is automatically the Next of Kin and so all medical decisions would have to go through her.
However, if she is not then she should consider filing a Petition for Guardianship and Power of Attorney, etc. A local Kansas Estate Attorney should be able to do it and get it down under an emergency basis.