How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27593
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed over 3 years ago in Florida where we were

Customer Question

I filed for divorce over 3 years ago in Florida where we were living at the time. (4yrs)
I moved back to Birmingham, Alabama shortly after I filed. He will not sign papers and this just keeps going on. My lawyer sent my retainer back and we are in limbo now.
Can I file in Alabama for an uncontested divorce since we were married here and lived here all but 4 years of our marriage. We have not lived or been together the entire 3 years since I left. He is still in Florida.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In order to file for divorce in Alabama, the court needs to have jurisdiction over the matter. To be subject to the jurisdiction of the domestic relations court in Alabama, either you OR your spouse has to have been a resident of Alabama for at least six months, or you both will need to have established Alabama as your legal residence. As a result of you living in Alabama and exceeding the residency requirement, you could file there. However, you want to make sure that your Florida case is dismissed, if it has not been already and that it doe snot remain open.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions