How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16843
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can the government put me on child support if the mother is

Customer Question

Can the government put me on child support if the mother is getting government assistance
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes. The Texas Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is the state's "Title IV-D" agency. I'll explain: If the state or federal government provides social services / aid / food stamps / Medicaid (CHIPS) / etc... to the child, it has the legal right to seek reimbursement from any responsible party. That would include a parent whose parental obligations were not terminated, even if the rights were. The OAG gets its cases in two ways: A case is automatically referred to the OAG if a person with possession of a child applies for public assistance or Medicaid.Individuals may apply for IV-D services, whether or not they have received public assistance. This includes people who have possession of the child but are not the parents, such as grandparents. About 45 percent of the current caseload involves families who have never received any form of public assistance. Texas does not charge fees for IV-D services.By filing an application or accepting public assistance, the applicant assigns his or her rights in the child support case to the State. [TFC § 231.104] This provides the OAG with standing in the case.A person who has never received public assistance may terminate services at any time. Those currently receiving public assistance cannot terminate services and must cooperate with the OAG or risk losing benefits. Those who have previously received public assistance cannot terminate services until these benefits have been recouped. So in short, even if the other parent doesn't file for child support, the mere act of filing for public assistance gives Texas the right to seek child support from you to reimburse the governmental assistance paid out. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 years ago.
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)