Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife's lawyer deliberatly delayed correspondence to me so…

Customer Question
My wife's lawyer deliberatly delayed...
My wife's lawyer deliberatly delayed correspondence to me so as to elimate my abitlity to defend myself in court. Can he use that type of tactic?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/21/2015
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 3 years ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
What was the correspondence? There are rules regarding when documents must be provided. If he did not violate that rule, then he isn't going to be in trouble. If he did, then you can ask that he be sanctioned.
I have emails
But was the correspondence court ordered, or was it just email correspondence about the case? If there was no judicial oversight of the correspondence ie the lawyer wasn't court ordered (or statutorily required) to provide the information for you. If he was just talking about your case with you, then yes, he could wait tell you something until the last minute.
The key here is whether he was court ordered to tell you something, or otherwise ordered by statute to provide you with information, like financial statements, etc.