How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter temporarily lost custody of her son because her

Customer Question

My daughter temporarily lost custody of her son because her and her husband got into a fist fight and have been physical before, but never with him.
He was put in temporary custody of her sister. The father, he is 40, has never had custody, can't keep a job and has never paid child support. he also lives at home with his parents and brother and handicapped aunt, who is 80. Social services has been called on the abuse on the aunt.
My daugher's husband only works part time, she has never worked, is cronically ill and I think is bipolar.
His dad is threating to take him from his aunt and not let anyone ever see him again.
Neither parent is good for him. What can be done? He is out of school shortly and I am worried he will go to one of his parents.
He sees a social worker at school, has social problems and is in a group at school to help this, he is also in speach therapy and I think needs an IEP. Very angry and disruptive in school and out.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, short of bringing a suit for custody yourself, there isn't much you can do. The law expects adults to act as adults and doesn't often provide a way for an adult parent to manage the actions of an adult child.
Here is a starting point for visitation and custody proceedings for grandparents in Illinois.
You may be able to gain guardianship over your grandson. That will likely be the best way you can approach this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about a GAL, and how would I get that
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
This is a sample of the form that would help you gain guardianship. Each county establishes their own rules for filing, so you'd need to contact your county court system to determine where to start.

Related Family Law Questions