Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter temporarily lost custody of her son because her…

Customer Question
My daughter temporarily lost custody...
My daughter temporarily lost custody of her son because her and her husband got into a fist fight and have been physical before, but never with him.
He was put in temporary custody of her sister. The father, he is 40, has never had custody, can't keep a job and has never paid child support. he also lives at home with his parents and brother and handicapped aunt, who is 80. Social services has been called on the abuse on the aunt.
My daugher's husband only works part time, she has never worked, is cronically ill and I think is bipolar.
His dad is threating to take him from his aunt and not let anyone ever see him again.
Neither parent is good for him. What can be done? He is out of school shortly and I am worried he will go to one of his parents.
He sees a social worker at school, has social problems and is in a group at school to help this, he is also in speach therapy and I think needs an IEP. Very angry and disruptive in school and out.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/21/2015
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 3 years ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Unfortunately, short of bringing a suit for custody yourself, there isn't much you can do. The law expects adults to act as adults and doesn't often provide a way for an adult parent to manage the actions of an adult child.
Here is a starting point for visitation and custody proceedings for grandparents in Illinois. http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_ProSeListContent&problemCodeID=361&topicID=59
You may be able to gain guardianship over your grandson. That will likely be the best way you can approach this.
What about a GAL, and how would I get that
This is a sample of the form that would help you gain guardianship. Each county establishes their own rules for filing, so you'd need to contact your county court system to determine where to start.
http://www.willcountycircuitcourt.com/forms/MINOR/39A.pdf
originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney