Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Living in New Jersey. I filed a motion representing myself…

Customer Question
Living in New Jersey....
Living in New Jersey. I filed a motion representing myself to get a reduction in my Spousal Support. ANd the emancipation granted of my two sons. One of my sons has received his BS degree in college and is currently Living out of start. My other son is currently not enrolled in College, and is working fulltinme approx 50 hours a week, and is 19 years old. My ex wife received a promotion and raise at her job, and her income has nearly doubled. Where my income has been stagnant since our divorce in 2009. I filed the motion in February of 2015, and still have received a ruling. What are my legal rights as to stop submitting payments?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/21/2015
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 3 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. Please tell me1 - After you filed these proceedings the other party was served?2 - And have they filed a response?
Yes they were served and filed a response
Thank youAnd the response was in agreement or disputed?At any rate, you now need to file a Motion for a Hearing for these matters. Once you do that, the clerk can place it on the docket and the court will grant you the Motion. Unless there is something in the response that the other party will want to also appear and verbally dispute these motions.
I did that back in February and the judge said they were going to rule on paper. And I have still not heard a ruling.
Hello
Thank you
I see. Ok. Well, call the clerk of the court and ask nicely if they will please check on the matter for you to make sure it did not get lost on the desk of the Judge.
The clerk can call and find out from the judge's staff where it is.
I have done that as welk numerous times. I keep getting the same answer. Hope to get a response in a week or so. My question is do u have to still make payments while I wait. Should I get reimbursed for payments made?
Hello
Thank you. IF the child support is over, you do not need to continue those payments. Over meaning your child has reached the age of emancipation and is not in high school. Any over payments you can sue for in small claims
AS to spousal support you need to continue that as it has not been ordered reduced.