How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27012
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Living in New Jersey. I filed a motion representing myself

Customer Question

Living in New Jersey. I filed a motion representing myself to get a reduction in my Spousal Support. ANd the emancipation granted of my two sons. One of my sons has received his BS degree in college and is currently Living out of start. My other son is currently not enrolled in College, and is working fulltinme approx 50 hours a week, and is 19 years old. My ex wife received a promotion and raise at her job, and her income has nearly doubled. Where my income has been stagnant since our divorce in 2009. I filed the motion in February of 2015, and still have received a ruling. What are my legal rights as to stop submitting payments?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. Please tell me1 - After you filed these proceedings the other party was served?2 - And have they filed a response?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes they were served and filed a response
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.
Thank youAnd the response was in agreement or disputed?At any rate, you now need to file a Motion for a Hearing for these matters. Once you do that, the clerk can place it on the docket and the court will grant you the Motion. Unless there is something in the response that the other party will want to also appear and verbally dispute these motions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did that back in February and the judge said they were going to rule on paper. And I have still not heard a ruling.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.
Thank you
I see. Ok. Well, call the clerk of the court and ask nicely if they will please check on the matter for you to make sure it did not get lost on the desk of the Judge.
The clerk can call and find out from the judge's staff where it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have done that as welk numerous times. I keep getting the same answer. Hope to get a response in a week or so. My question is do u have to still make payments while I wait. Should I get reimbursed for payments made?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. IF the child support is over, you do not need to continue those payments. Over meaning your child has reached the age of emancipation and is not in high school. Any over payments you can sue for in small claims
AS to spousal support you need to continue that as it has not been ordered reduced.