Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I lost my daughter to the state of Alabama years ago she

Customer Question

I lost my daughter to the state of Alabama years ago she will be 18 in March she was adopted out down there and adoptions down there or closed. I live in Wisconsin but what would I have to do in Alabama to find her and be reunited with her
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. Unfortunately, Alabama adoption law does not grant the birth parents any rights to adoption files/recordsAlabama Who May Access Information Citation: Ala. Code § 26-10A-31Nonidentifying information may be released, upon request, to:• The adoptive parents• The birth parents •The adopted person who is age 19 or older Only the adult adopted person may access identifying information.Access to Nonidentifying Information Citation: Ala. Code § 26-10A-31 Nonidentifying information is limited to: •The health and medical history of birth parents and the adopted person• General family background• Physical descriptions• The length of time the child was in out-of-home care other than with the adoptive parents• The circumstances resulting in the adoption If the court finds that any person has a compelling need for nonidentifying information that can be obtained only through contact with the adopted person, the birth parents, or the adoptive parents, the court shall direct the agency or a mutually agreed upon intermediary to establish contact with the adopted person, the birth parents, or the adoptive parents in order to obtain the information needed without disclosing identifying information. The information then shall be filed with the court and released to the applicant at the discretion of the court. The identity and whereabouts of the person or persons contacted shall remain confidential.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
I suggest that if your daughter is so inclined, she can try to locate you and will be able to obtain the records.You can also consider a Private Investigator who is versed in finding adopted children.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
But your legal and course recourse is limited.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
I wish it was better news for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was actually thinking about going to human services when she's 18 to find her I have heard of people doing that before I have been in contact with a private investigator but if I can go through human services and get her information I would assume I can do it if other people done it
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you. I suggest you can obtain Non Identifying information. But I cannot guarantee they would provide anything elseNonidentifying information generally includes medical and health information about the child and the child’s birth family at the time of the adoptive placement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so I could at least gets adopted parents names. Right? I know before my daughter got adopted the family that wanted to adopt her had said that they wanted to keep in touch with me and I knew their name once I just forgot
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloNo. That would not be an option, unfortunately. The records are closed. The law does not allow that information to be released. A lot of times, adoptions occur within the same area as where the child was born, lived. You could get copies of the Yearbooks from schools in that area and go through them and see if you recognize anyone - a different name may jog your memory. It is going to take detective work, unfortunately, because the courts will not be a recourse for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if I will be allowed to find her then how will she be able to find me when she's 19 or 18
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThe law provides that option if she is interested. If she knows she has been adopted, she may be curious to find you. And if she is, she can request her adoption records. And as long as at the time of adoption you did not sign a paper that says you never want to be found, your information - age, name, date of birth - will be released to her so she can begin her search.I know it is difficult for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you see I don't know if they change her first name. I know her last name be changed where can I go to find your books if you don't know where she resides at adoption
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what's the worst part of this is at the time she was taken from me didn't have any legal recourse to keep her and could not prove anything. as a result my daughter was taken from me and I want her back
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Ok. If you contact the High Schools in the area where she was born, lived you can request they send you copies of their yearbooks. There will be costs for that. But maybe if you see the name - the last name - it may jar a memory of who the folks were who were interested in adopting her. It is not an easy process. And I am not a PI so I don't know all the tricks. And that is why you might want to have a PI work with you on this
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
I am sure it is difficult and I can't even begin to Pretend that I understand your anguish. I really hope you find her
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do know of a guy who does this he says he can even start the search before she's 18 but me going to school for criminal justice I don't know as if he would be allowed to find her before she's 18 because of the closed adoption laws
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloYes, he can start the search
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
That is not illegal. If she is under 18 the parents would need to be contacted to get permission to contact the minor. But he can certainly begin to look and locate her
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasn't sure that p.i's could do that but OK. to get the non identifying information who do I have to petition the courts
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloYou can try Child Welfare Information Gateway Children’s Bureau/ACYF***** SW Eighth Floor Washington, DC 20024(###) ###-####Email:***@******.***
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
They should be able to provide the non identifying information for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you know how long it takes for that place to give you the information
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Oh Lord, I do not. I suggest it depends on their back log. And as with any government agency if you are nice and try to "sweet talk" the person you connect with they may work harder on finding the information for you sooner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok then it sounds like the quickest avenue would be going through this Pi
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloYes. IT could be.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
I suggest you can use the Wisconsin Private Investigator Association
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
and get some names for consultation to ensure you are getting a good licensed PI and their rates vary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well I do appreciate your time the answer was in the cost effective answer i was hoping for but it sounds like it's the only answer
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Thank you and best of success in this endeavor!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. If you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, please give a Positive Rating as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information.​Thank you