Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to get an at fault divorce against my wife in either AZ, TX, LA, or TN..which do yo…

Customer Question
I need to get an...
I need to get an at fault divorce against my wife in either AZ, TX, LA, or TN..which do you recommend ? Grounds: adultery - repeated / mental instability /separation for almost 5 years / no sex / possibly mental cruelty abandonment
I do not have much money but a fair income. Wife left by mutual consent to get head together after prior affair -and to return in few weeks to work on marriage. Has never returned for almost 5 years now. Recently (this Monday) caught shacking up in nearby hotel when briefly in town to celebrate oldest daughter's graduation! Last child turned 18 in March. All 4 have been still dependent on me. Not acceptable for a no fault ruling. Will provide any other info needed.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/20/2015
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. A court needs to have jurisdiction over the matter and the parties, for the divorce proceedings to be heard. With that being said, there is typically a residency requirement that must first be met prior to filing. A suit for divorce may not be maintained in this state unless at the time the suit is filed either the petitioner or the respondent has been: (1) a domiciliary of this state for the preceding six-month period; and (2) a resident of the county in which the suit is filed for the preceding 90-day period. If one spouse has been a domiciliary of this state for at least the last six months, a spouse domiciled in another state or nation may file a suit for divorce in the county in which the domiciliary spouse resides at the time the petition is filed. With that being said, unless you plan on picking up, relocating, waiting the required time in the State and then filing, Texas should provide you with the opportunity to do it now
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer