Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm concerned my wife is being unfaithful, but cant prove anythin…

Customer Question
I'm concerned my wife is...
I'm concerned my wife is being unfaithful, but cant prove anything.
I'm afraid she's' waiting for my father to die to divorce me so she can get half of his estate.
I'm in Colorado as well is the estate.
How can I protect my inheritance if my suspicions are correct?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/19/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
In Colorado, inheritance during the marriage is considered separate property in case of a divorce.
As such, provided it can be traced back to the inheritance, your father's estate that is inherited by you is separate property.
What someone in your situation wants to do is to KEEP IT SEPARATE, meaning a separate bank account for the inheritance money with your name only and not putting any other money in there, and, not putting her name on any real estate inherited in probate.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.