How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a father signs with his son to buy a camper, and the son

Customer Question

If a father signs with his son to buy a camper, and the son and his wife set a divorse, does the sons wife have any right to the camper?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Did they finance the camper? Did the son put any money toward the camper or was it all gifts from the father? It sounds like the son was married when the camper was purchased, is that right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The camper was financed,no money was put down,and the sonwas married when the camper wa financed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
As a practical matter, the judge can't order the father to sell the camper, because he's not a party to the divorce. The judge ALSO isn't going to order the wife's name added to tit, because it doesn't make sense for someone to own a camper with her ex-father-in-law.
With that said, the camper is marital property. What will happen is that the judge will order the son to repay the wife half of the payments made during the marriage from his share of the marital assets. If she has a car or something, it may be possible to use his share of that vehicle to offset the amount he'd otherwise have to give her (or a portion of a retirement account or something - it doesn't have to be cash).
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions