How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29823
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a father in the state of Louisiana. I have joint custody

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a father in the state of Louisiana. I have joint custody of my 13yr old daughter. I was ordered to pay $425.00 a month in child support. My 13yr old daughter, and both my sons whom are 22yrs & 20yrs old lives with me. My support order is for my daughter only ($425.00). My daughter only spends about 4 nights a month with her mother usually during her cycle time. I cover all health, medical, dental insurance for the kids. I pay for all my daughters school expenses, clothes books and so forth. I'm also obligated to pay all my daughters extra curriculum activities. For school cheer its about $4,000 that I'm having to pay $500.00 per month on top of the child support to her mother. I can't understand why I'm still obligated to pay support when Im taking care of the kids and they live with me. I have tried to talk to the mom but she doesn't care what the kids do as long as she $425.00 a month from me. Any advice will greatly be appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
If the current living arrangements are not what were contemplated when the judge ordered joint custody and told you to pay support, you have the ability to file a Motion for Modification. Not only should you not be paying support if your daughter is with you most of the time, but her mother should be paying you.
This form was intended to be used in Orleans Parish, but it could still be helpful if you need to draft your own motion. Call the clerk of the court in your parish to see if they have forms you can use. You are not required to hire a lawyer, and should be able to decrease support even over the mother's objection (since she's not entitled to it).
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions