How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118780
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have guardianship over my step granddaughter who is 10 years

Customer Question

I have guardianship over my step granddaughter who is 10 years old. Her biological father died this past winter and her biological mother gave up her rights to my husband and myself. My granddaughter has recently found out she has siblings on her fathers side and an aunt and uncle who are very accepting of her into their family, they just never knew of her existence. My question is that my granddaughter wants to change her last name to her father's last name, can this be done without her mother's approval since she does not have guardianship and is living in another state?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if the mother has given up parental rights and not just guardianship/custody to you, then you can engage an attorney to represent the child and file a name change petition in the court to change her last name and get an order to modify her birth certificate. If the mother only signed off giving you guardianship/custody, but still has parental rights then you need to serve the mother a copy of the name change petition and she has a chance to file an objection in the case if she wants to do so.