Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If a parent is on social security disability from prior to

Customer Question
birth of his child...
If a parent is on social security disability from prior to birth of his child , isn't child entitled to monthly checks ? My daughter is 10 and soon to be ex never reported her to ss . Also isn't ny child support law entitle child to 17% of fathers income ? I was offered 75.00 per month . I make 100,000 him 42,000 but I'm not asking for alimony - only child support !
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/18/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposed only.
If a parent of a child is on disability, then the child is entitled to dependent's benefits from SSDI. Furthermore, the child support guidelines for child support payments in NY is 17% of income for one child. You need to raise this in the court, since the offer does not meet the child support guidelines and also you can get the court to order him to apply for dependent benefits under SSDI.
Is amount awarded to child affected by MOTHERS income ?
Thank you for your reply.
NY goes based off of the percentage of the non-custodial parent's income. Here is the NY Child Support Calculator: http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/html/services/child_support_calculator.shtml
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer