Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

We got married confidentially in California. At the time, we

Customer Question

We got married confidentially in California. At the time, we couldn't tell our parents. Now we want get married again in Ohio in the presence of our family. The problem is they told us we can't apply for another marriage license since we are married in California. If we get a divorce in California so we can apply for a marriage license in Ohio, will it show on the marriage license that we are divorced? We will provide the divorce papers to the county but we don't want our family to know that we were married before and got divorced because it will cause a lot of problems for both of us. We even tried to do the religious ceremony and speak to the imam which is the officiant for marriage and tell him to do the religious ceremony without them knowing that we were already married. But he didn't agree to do that so now we are stuck and we don't what to do
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: Your Marriage License will not have information about your divorce. However, your Marriage Certificate would indicate the number of marriages (1, 2, etc.) So, anyone looking at your Marriage Certificate would know that the marriage is your second marriage because the number of marriages would be on the Certificate, regrettably. There is no way to get around that.
I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the marriage certificate is the document that is obtained after i submit the marriage license to the court? what happens if we get another marriage license before we get a divorce in California?
Thanks
I am sorry, but I do not understand your follow-up question.
Why would you be submitting your Marriage License to the Court?
When you file for divorce, you have to submit a certified copy or the original of your Marriage Certificate and NOT the Marriage License to the Court.
Your CANNOT be issued another Marriage License without showing proof that your previous marriage has been dissolved. It is illegal to get another Marriage License while you are still married. No City Clerk or County Clerk would issue a Marriage License without obtaining proof of a divorce.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry i didn't make my self clear.
When I go to the clerk office with my divorce paper, they will issue a marriage license so i can take it to the officiant to get us married again. On that marriage license, will show that we were married before? Can people get a copy of our divorced records? Also, if we get a divorce in two days in California, how long will it take to process so we can get married again in Ohio?
I am sorry i didn't make my self clear.
When I go to the clerk office with my divorce paper, they will issue a marriage license so i can take it to the officiant to get us married again. On that marriage license, will show that we were married before?

Response 1: No, it will not.
Can people get a copy of our divorced records?
Response 2: Yes, unless you ask the Court to seal the information.
Also, if we get a divorce in two days in California, how long will it take to process so we can get married again in Ohio?
Response 3:You may not get your divorce in two days. You have to file petition for dissolution of your marriage and the Court would review your filings to make sure that you have complied with the procedures. If your papers are in order, the Court would approve your petition for divorce. So, the timing would depend on you and the load of the Court. You should contact the Clerk's office of where the divorce Petition would be filed as to timing of the approval of your Petition. For more information, click on the links below:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/find-my-court.htm
http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-summarydissolution.htm