How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16378
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Grandson has money put in a trust, his grandmother has no problem

Customer Question

Grandson has money put in a trust, his grandmother has no problem getting some of it released, he needs to write a letter requesting the funds but he doesn't know how to word it? He lives in another state, in the Marines.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 2 years ago.
Hello there
This young man needs to get a copy of the written trust document from the bank or other entity holding the funds or from a person who is the trustee in that trust so that he can read the document and determine what the documents says about payments to him out of the trust and when those payments can be made. Just because a trust exists does not mean that a person is automatically entitled to some of the contents of the trust until the terms set forth in that trust have been completed or fulfilled. For example, the trust document might leave the trust to the grandmother and then upon her death, the grandson will be entitled to receive what amounts are left in the trust. Or the trust terms might only let the grandson receive the benefits at a certain age. So, at this point, he must get a copy of the trust document and read the terms of it and if he can meet the terms to get a disbursement from the trust then the trust document should state in it where he can send a written request to do so (typically the trust document will set forth the bank or other financial institution holding the funds). Once he gets this information from the trust document, then he can follow the instructions in that document for requesting a disbursement if he is entitled to a direct disbursement at this time.
Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating underneath this ANSWER box so I will be paid for my time. I am not paid anything unless you press a positive rating below. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Related Family Law Questions