How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being subpeoned in a family court case as a witness, if

Customer Question

i am being subpeoned in a family court case as a witness, if i am asked a question that might incriminate myself , can i plead the 5th amendment
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Yes, you can plead the 5th provided that you pleading it over a criminal matter, you cannot use it as a means to avoid answering unwanted questions. Otherwise you can indeed refuse to answer, but make sure to state that you are pleading the 5th based on self-incrimination.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Family Law Questions