How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does this mean in my child support document "Child support

Customer Question

What does this mean in my child support document "Child support shall continue until the child turns 18,dies, marries or becomes emancipated;provided however that support shall continue for the child if upon reaching the age of 18, the child is still enrolled in high school or its equivalent or until the child turns 20." ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The "or until the child turns 20" language means that, if she still hasn't finished high school at that point, support will end. It's to help ensure that custodial parents still get help while the child is living at home with them, even if they take longer than expected to graduate.

Typically, a child is emancipated when they marry, enlist in the military, or get a job and move out of the parent's home. So, an 18-year-old who decided not to finish high school would be emancipated if he got a full-time job and rented an apartment that he paid for on his own.

That order does not require either parent to pay for the child to go to college. Many parents choose to help their kids go to school, which is wonderful, but it's not legally required of custodial parents or parents who are together, so the law in many states doesn't require non-custodial parents to pay for college absent a specific agreement to do so.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.