How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3461
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two questions. The first is my teen went to her

Customer Question

I have two questions.
The first is my teen went to her therapist the other day, and told the therapist that she did not trust her any longer as she had talked to the other parent and disclosed information without her permission. The therapist became very agitated and threw her papers down and said then you are free to go. My teen thanked her for the help she had given her and the therapist responded with I don't think I helped you at all. And the growled between her teeth as my teen left the room...Good Luck. She had denied ever talking to the other parent, after she had told my teen 2 weeks prior that she had met the other parent as well as telling me in a meeting with her that she had met with the other parent.
Is there a board that I can report the therapist to or what actions can I take?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law issue today.
By therapist do you mean pyschiatrist? Or is she just a "counselor" with a school, church, or something else?
What state is this in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is an LISW in the state of Iowa.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. You can file a complaint with the Iowa Board of Public Health. They handle the LISW jurisdiction. I'm sorry to hear about your issue, but hopefully this will help you get it resolved! If you valued my time, I'd love a positive review. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied. Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have one other further question.My teen is 14 and a half. Refuses go with the other parent. I just finished a contempt hearing and waiting for a ruling. I had a protective order dismissed on the other parent. Now that parent is at me again to get her to visit, the teen refuses, the parent does not believe me. The teen is threatening to run if forced. Is there anything I can do to help her? Her previous therapist filed a report with the CPS about abuse from that parent she reported to the therapist and the report is still ongoing nothing has been decided.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, you have to abide by the custody/visitation order, which means forcing your teen to go. Otherwise, you are in contempt of the order. The remedy would be to file a modification request with the court citing the issue of the abuse as a "material change in circumstances" and asking that the shared custody/visitation be changed or removed. Until then you'll have to abide by the Order. Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The other parent has filed for physical custody, am I able to to file for material change in circumstances even if that has been filed?
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can oppose the other party's motion and file your own motion. Michael

Related Family Law Questions