How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116733
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is married to me as well as to someone else in another country. Who do I report

Customer Question

my husband is married to me as well as to someone else in another country. Who do I report it
We were married Oct 5, 2013 .in Guyana. Came to live in St Maarten with me then went back to Guyana under the assumption he was returning. Later I discovered he is married in the Us. Legal records shows that we are still legally married
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he never got divorced from you and then married someone else, his second marriage is not legally valid. If he is in the US and in NY as you indicate, you need to notify the DA in the city he is located in, since bigamy is a criminal offense in the US.
Also, you can use a US attorney in NY to file suit against him to get the court to order that his second marriage is not valid. If he is in the US on a visa, you can also notify US Customs and Immigration Service, since bigamy would be a basis for them to remove him from the US, especially if they find he married in the US for immigration purposes and that is grounds for deportation and a minimum 10 year ban from reentry.

Related Family Law Questions