How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118100
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has been living with his father and stepmother

Customer Question

My son has been living with his father and stepmother for the past three years,we have joint custody together.His dad will not let him call me his mom or his grandmother. My son is getting very upset and told me he wanted to kill himself ( I am getting him therapy now) he hates it there.I want to go to the courthouse today to file some paperwork because it hurts me to see him like this. What do I need to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file a Motion to Modify Custody (here is a sample, does not matter the county, you can change that, the forms are the same as is the process:
Because of the child's condition, if the doctor is stating he needs to get out of there, you can ask the clerk when you file for an ex parte temporary change of custody pending the hearing and the court will grant it based on his mental status and then will set a hearing for you to present your evidence to the court to get the custody changed permanently.