Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have my will set & my daughters are benf,,,but we are traveling

Customer Question
next week togeter.Worried if something...
I have my will set & my daughters are benf,,,but we are traveling next week togeter.Worried if something happpens my estate will get in a big mess,, I want to make my 22 year old grandaughter in charge & leave my estate to her & my 13 year grandaughter..what should I do..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/13/2015
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I am not quite sure I understand your question...
.
Do you actually have your will prepared and have granddaughter listed as executor of your estate?
.
Are you wanting to name your granddaughters as contingent beneficiaries if something should happen to your daughters?
.
.
thanks
No as of now my daughters are benif.s but if we all pass together on this trip, I want everything to go to my granddaughters equally
Ok, then you can draft up a "codicil", which is just a fancy legal word for Amendment, to your will that states if daughters pass before or at the same time as you, then your granddaughters are to be the beneficiaries of your estate equally.
.
If you are looking for a template form for this, a good site is USLegalforms.com as they have state specific forms that have been professionally drafted.
.
But in Michigan, a will or codicil doesn't have to be notarized. It just has to be signed by the testator and by two "uninterested witnesses" (meaning that they aren't beneficiaries) in order to be valid. So while notarization can be done, as long at the testator and two witnesses sign, it is entirely valid.
.
.
thanks
That is great to know, I am doing it now, going to type it up & sign it with both girls,. Not something u want to think about but needs to be done. Also adding her to my checking acct, so she has acess to everthing.. But I can remove her after trip tight?
Just make sure that your witnesses aren't beneficiaries. So no daughters or granddaughters as witnesses.. Anyone else can be a witness and a local bank will usually have a couple people who will sign as witnesses.
.
As for adding someone to a bank account, if you add them as a joint account holder, then they become co-owner of the account and you couldn't remove them unless they agreed to be removed.
.
.
thanks
Ok good ,,thanks so much !! I feel alot better.
You are very welcome. And very wise to plan ahead for worst case scenarios.
.
.
thanks
Hate to think that way but u never know Thanks so much
Plan for the worst and hope for the best... old and true saying..
.
.
Have a great evening.
Barrister, Lawyer