How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in a relationship with my partner 9

Customer Question

I have been in a relationship with my partner for almost 9 years. We have been living together for that amount of time as well. We also have a child together that is 7 years old. We have separated but are still living together in the apartment. He refuses to help me financially in terms of helping me move in a new place with my daughter. He says that he will support my daughter but he is not willing to help me specifically. Am I entitled to any legal help from him financially even though we were never married?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, you are legally NOT entitled to any financial assistance precisely because you were never married. Regardless of how long you lived together, under law you are still seen as legal strangers to one another and with no formal duty or obligation. Now, if in writing your partner promised to help take care of you and you relied on that promise, an argument can be made for 'palimony' and some support obligations, but if nothing is in writing and no such assurances exist, that person is not legally required to support you. Support of the child is different and that is something that person would have to provide.
Dimitry, Esq.