Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I've been told that even though I have a felony and cannot

Customer Question
get certified through adoption agencies...
I've been told that even though I have a felony and cannot get certified through adoption agencies; I can still adopt privately with a court order. Is this positively true even in the State of Colorado (this state's the toughest I think). What are the initial steps in getting a Court Order if someone were to want their baby to be placed with my husband and me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/11/2015
Family Lawyer: Michael J, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Michael J, Esq.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. Per Colorado adoption law:A person convicted of a felony in the following areas will not be allowed to adopt:o Child abuse or neglecto Spousal abuseo Any crime against a child, including, but not limited to, child pornographyo Any crime of domestic violenceo Violation of a protection ordero Any crime involving violence, rape, sexual assault or homicideo Any felony physical assault or batter conviction or felony drug-related conviction within thepast 5 years. If you do not have any of those felonies, you can possibly adopt. You would need to file a Petition for Adoption with the court. If you're doing it yourself, you can find the Colorado forms/information here. Also, FAQs here. Let me know if you need more help! If you valued my time, I'd love a positive review. I'll be happy to follow up if you have further questions! Michael
Sorry, the forms didn't link. Here is the FAQ.
FAQ: https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Self_Help/FAQ's/Adoption%20FAQs.pdf
Adoption forms: https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=146
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer