How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30352
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help slander case at work. An older colleague's'

Customer Question

Hi - I need help for a slander case at work. An older colleague's' wife spreads rumors that I have been involved with her husband and that I had a sexual affair with him for over a year multiple times. She also claims that her husband admitted so. She has contacted my husband and claims to also contact my professional network. How can I protect myself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
Forgive me for asking, but did you have an affair with her husband? (I'm assuming not, but it would affect the answer if you did.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi - It was only an emotional affair. I have evidence (e.g. text messages) to prove this.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
In that case, telling people that you had a sexual affair to ruin your reputation is defamation of character, which is actionable. You could actually sue her for telling people that you had an affair with her husband.
Usually, unless you've lost your job or can show pecuniary damages, this type of case would be heard in Small Claims Court. All of the forms and instructions are online, and you don't need a lawyer.
The other option is to send her a letter, via certified mail, insisting that she cease and desist spreading false statements about you IMMEDIATELY, or you will sue for damages. It's possible that, when she realizes that you're serious, she'll leave you alone - that's why it's a good idea to send it certified mail. It often helps.
If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.