Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Want to marry a man living in Dubai? Dubai marriage laws are

Customer Question
want to marry a man...
want to marry a man living in Dubai? Dubai marriage laws are very difficult. Can we get married by proxy here? before I to Dubai
Thanks
Sandy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/8/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There are only a few states in the US that allow proxy marriages. Getting married by proxy in the US does not mean the marriage would be recognized by Sharia law that is recognized in the UAE. Did you have a state in mind that you want to know if proxy marriage is allowed there?
I know Montana both do not have to be present. Is this the easiest way to be married. Also we would like to come back to the us
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you can engage in a proxy marriage under MT law, but only if one party to a proxy marriage is a member of the armed forces of the United States on federal active duty or a resident of Montana at the time of application for a license. See: MT Code 40-1-301. If you do not meet those qualifications, you cannot have a proxy marriage in MT.

Under Colorado law, 14-2-109(2), "If a party to a marriage is unable to be present at the solemnization, such party may authorize in writing a third person to act as such party's proxy. If the person solemnizing the marriage is satisfied that the absent party is unable to be present and has consented to the marriage, such person may solemnize the marriage by proxy. If such person is not satisfied, the parties may petition the district court for an order permitting the marriage to be solemnized by proxy."
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer