Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My ex husband were married to me and another female at the

Customer Question

My ex husband were married to me and another female at the same time. They were married in 2013. I divorced him in 2014. Can he be held accountable for this and if so, how?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. What state are you in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm in ct.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Conn. Stay. Sec. 53a-190 (Bigamy) says: A person is guilty of bigamy when he marries or purports to marry another person in this state if either is lawfully married; or so marries or purports to marry another person in any other state or country in violation of the laws thereof, and knowingly cohabits and lives with such other person in this state as husband and wife.
It is a Class D felony, A class D felony is the least serious type of felony in Connecticut, punishable by a state prison term of one to five years and a fine of up to $5,000. (Conn. Gen. Stat. §§ 53a-35a, 53a-41.)
The statute of limitations is 5 years for this type of crime.