Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I am trying to find out how to get my ex boyfriend out

Customer Question

Hi, I am trying to find out how to get my ex boyfriend out of my house. I live in Florida and the house is in my name only.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Is there any type of written lease agreement between the two of you?
.
Does he pay you rent?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No lease. In the past he has paid me a set amount every 2 weeks to cover his half of the bills. He hasn't paid me $ this past payday because he says he has to save up to move out.
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Ok, in FL, if he has been living with you for over a month or so, then he is legally considered a month to month tenant under an oral lease agreement..
.
You as his landlord can terminate his tenancy with a 15 day written notice to terminate. If he doesn't move out in that 15 days, you can file a formal eviction action against him in court.
.
Once you file the eviction complaint, the clerk will then issue a summons and the tenant has 5 days to respond. If tenant doesn’t respond, the landlord can get a default judgment. If tenants respond, a hearing is scheduled for some later date. After the hearing or default judgment, if the landlord wins, they can get a writ of possession which would allow them to have the sheriff put the tenant out 24 hours later.
.
.
thanks