How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a judge refuses to lower a bond, what does it take to get

Customer Question

if a judge refuses to lower a bond, what does it take to get 1 lowered?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under Louisiana Law and the US Constitution (6th Amendment) "reasonable bond" shall not be denied. What is reasonable is based on numerous factors considered by the court. The court considers the likelihood the defendant will commit other offenses, whether the defendant will appear in court when needed, whether the defendant poses a danger to the victim or the community in general, the severity of the offense and the likelihood the defendant will comply with all conditions of the bond release.
So, if the judge is not reducing the bond, the defendant can apply to court for a motion for bond reduction (and prove that the defendant is not a danger, will not offend if released, will appear in court and will comply with all conditions of the bond) and if the court denies the bond reduction, the defendant can file an appeal to the circuit appeal court to argue that the bond violates his rights in that it is unreasonable or he can even file a petition for Habeas Corpus relief to the US District Court for the bond being excessive in violation of his 6th Amendment rights.

Related Family Law Questions