How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband moved out of my house 3 times and in with his girlfriend,

Customer Question

My husband moved out of my house 3 times and in with his girlfriend, after sending me dozens of emails saying he wants to come back home, which he did. I went on a trip with my mother for a week and came to to a lockbox and a for sale sign on my lawn. Additionally he took all of his things and an item of mines. What are to rights ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have over $40k in debt in addition to the mortgage, which all debts and deed are in both names. He earns twice as much as me, and we have been married 15 years. All this activity is out of the blue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son is 19 and in his 2nd year of college, and we have raised him together for 16 years. We are both on his school loans. He provides our health insurance as I cannot afford it.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for your trouble with this and I'm sure you're a little in shock with this coming at you out of the blue. The first thing you could do is contact the realtor and inform him/her that you own part of the house and that you have not agreed to sell the may want to ask for the listing agreement to see if he forged your name.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
You would have the ability to try and cancel the listing agreement since it doesn't include your agreement. Further, you may want to consult a local family law attorney in your area and discuss options for divorce as it appears that's where this is heading.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
If you do divorce, all property acquired during the marriage would be subject to division in an equitable manner.......that doesn't necessarily mean equally.....but that's how it is usually done.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
But, as an initial matter, you should try and get the listing contract out of the way and then try to find out what is going on and then proceed based on what you find.