How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 10 yr old daughter and been a single father

Customer Question

I have a 10 yr old daughter and been a single father for 9 yrs. her mother has had substance abuse issues and unemployed for past 7 yrs. therefore I didn't obligate her financially? . I was awarded 100% physical custody 50% joint legal. she has been employed now for 3yrs and is receiving funds from a trust and inheritance. I ve asked her for financial assistance but she declines to. she states that I didn't ask when I received custody of our daaughter therefore she is not obligated. meantime she is living a lavish lifestyle and signs of substance abuse while my daughter and i struggle to make ends meet. can I ask for childsupport past and present and future.?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Filing for past support may be a bit tricky as each state has different rules pertaining to such an option. Where exactly do you reside with your daughter?