Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in a mobile home, and my ex wife and I are both on the

Customer Question

I live in a mobile home, and my ex wife and I are both on the title. She has made no payment of any type (lot rent, insurance, utilities, repairs, etc) since leaving me to go to Indiana in 2012. I have paid everything. Now, she is insisting that the mobile is hers. It is in the divorce decree that the mobile is hers, but she left me here footing all the expenses. The original plan was for me to sell the mobile, but she has been asking way to much, and I have had no valid offers, so I wasted a lot of time and effort in attempting to sell it. Are there any laws about a situation like this? I know this is a little vague, but I "heard" that if someone has left and not paid for anything for a period of time, that they forfeited there interest in the mobile. Just trying to check the validity of that.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. If the divorce decree says the mobile home is hers, then the only way you could claim ownership and seek to obtain her interest would through adverse possession, which requires possession for 7 years without occupation or claim of ownership by the true owner.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Thus, unless 7 years have passed, you wouldn't likely have any claim to the property that would terminate her legal rights to the property.....but if she does own the property, you can likely walk away from it and leave it up to her to deal with.