Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was married years. The wedding took place in

Customer Question

Hello. I was married for 29 years. The wedding took place in Alabama. We are both US citizens. My husband and I were missionaries in Haiti for almost 2 years. We then moved to California and when we decided to get divorced he went to Haiti and got a divorce. My question is: is this a legal divorce that is recognized in California? We have lived in California since 2012. We lived in California for 7 months prior to the Haiti divorce.
Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
You can file the divorce decree with the court in the county where you live. As long as the Divorce was legal in Haiti it will be accepted and recognized in the US.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you positive the divorce is recognized in California?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloYes. I am. I suggest as long as both parties understood the terms of the divorce and that it was a legal proceeding in Haiti if you file it in the court in the county where you live it should be recognized as legal.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. Therefore, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know.Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating here as that is how i get credit for my time and informationThank you