How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3471
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in Wyoming and we live 300 miles from kids' dad. By decree

Customer Question

I'm in Wyoming and we live 300 miles from kids' dad. By decree he is supposed to get 60 days in summer. My girls are now 8 and 11 and want to go for two weeks. He is an attorney and anytime this comes up he says you will not make any plans during my 60 days. Do they get any say? What can I do to try to modify arrangement?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, they don't have any say. It has been found to be in their best interest to spend time with their father, otherwise it would not be in the order. They will need to go for the 60 days or you could be found in contempt. Courts usually allow orders to be modified when there has been a "material change in circumstances", i.e., a move, a change in the relationship, or something else major. The fact that they only want to go for two weeks will most likely not be seen as a "material change", but you can always speak to a local family law attorney to find out if there are any other reasons you may be able to have the order modified. I hope this helps!If you valued my time, I'd love a positive review. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I don't know if it makes a difference but the entire time they stay at his mother's house not with him.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Not really. It's his option during his time where the children stay. Now, if the house did not have running water/ electricity, was extremely dirty, or something else similar, it may make a difference. Michael