Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I have 2 other children who will still be on child support

Customer Question

i have 2 other children who will still be on child support so i take it i need a motion to terminate child support for my oldest and then will need a modification of the uniform order of support. is that correct? I do see forms on the mchenry county courthouse
website https://www.co.mchenry.il.us/county-government/departments-a-i/circuit-clerk/online-court-forms but i take it from your answer that those are for the attorneys. is it your opinion that i should engage an attorney for this or is it something relatively
easy and can be accomplished through the legal self-help service? My oldest graduates May 30th so I'm already behind on this. What happens to the extra money that she will still be receiving if I do not get this done in time? Thanks for the help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and nice to see you again. Yes, I see those forms but I don't see one that covers what you need. If you have a Uniform Order that deals with all the children, it sounds like you will need an Order to Terminate as well as a modification of the current order. I would check with self-help, but since this is a pretty important change, I would always suggest speaking to and possibly hiring an attorney before making any decisions. I'm actually not quite sure what happens to the money. Most likely, you'll have to move the court to Order her to return the overpayments. I hope this helps! Michael