Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Lucy--Esq. As a professor I am very long writer and only a

Customer Question

Lucy--Esq. As a professor I am very long writer and only a few people read all. How can I make my long document first priority over a 100 other documents that must be read by our legal system? Picture: A stack of documents to read. The important person,
looks briefly through all. Pull mine out for more reading after he has scanned the whole stack.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for requesting me. What are you filing? Are you talking about multiple documents filed in the same case, or multiple documents filed in several different cases? What does "long" mean to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already filed an 8 page "More Definite Statement" with endless facts, plus a 5 page annotated Table of Authorities.
Does that mean you're asking how to make the judge prioritize your case above all the others?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No for prioritize. But an interesting document might be scanned more than once and read in much-much detail. I discovered a teacher saved one of my reports for many years as a reference, for how to do things correctly. This could happen with the 8 plus 5 pages I filed. One idea: Refer to specific things in it, in short pleadings.
I'm afraid that's not really the kind of thing I can help you with. What's interesting to me may not be interesting to someone else. A paper would have to be published somewhere like a legal journal before it can be cited as an authority. Judges primarily refer to case law and law review articles in their opinions. It's not as easy as writing a really good brief. The best way to get a judge to read your brief over and over is to provide support for your legal arguments, be clear and concise, and avoid being unnecessarily argumentative or wordy. But as a general rule, the judge is always going to read a filed document at least once, so I don't think what you're asking is really the type of assistance we provide.
I'm going to open this up to the other experts and see if anyone else has something to add.