How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27181
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of Florida. My husband and I have been

Customer Question

I live in the state of Florida. My husband and I have been married for 3 years. I left him a year and a half ago and filed for divorce. He begged me to work on the marriage so I dropped the case a few months into the divorce. We never moved back in together. We continued dating and spending weekends together. I now realize that I definitely want a divorce. Will the court recognize that we've been married for three yeasts even though we've been separated? Also, we have a 3.5 yr old and I am currently 12 wks pregnant with his child.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. Would you mind sharing with me what your question and concern is? I know you asked about if the court will recognize the 3 years marriage but what is your concern with the separation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My concern is when I ask for either bridge the gap alimony or durational alimony if they recognize the entire three years of marriage.
I will need significant financial help to survive at least until I have time to recuperate physically from the delivery. I am also worried about having help with the newborn so that I can start to work.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Florida Statute 61.08 is going to control and that is what the Judge will look at, when deciding to award you alimony. I have provided the link for you below. The length of a marriage is the period of time from the date of marriage until the date of filing of an action for dissolution of marriage. Moreover, he will be legally obligated to pay child support, if you have custody of the newborn.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions