Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I PREPAID CHILD SUPPORT AND IS IN A TRUST FUND. THE CHILD

Customer Question

I PREPAID CHILD SUPPORT AND IS IN A TRUST FUND. THE CHILD WAS RECENTLY ADOPTED. AM I ENTITLED TO THE UNUSED SUPPORT. IT AMOUNTS TO $60,000.00
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer that I will have to provide you with will not be favorable, so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Legally there is absolutely no duty for the other party to reimburse you for the child support payments. Any prepayment is seen as 'voluntary' and therefore any cost is borne by choice. Since child support focuses on what is the 'minimum' that a parent may owe, there is no obligation to pay the minimum. Hence, if a parent chooses to pay more, that money is not something that they are entitled to get back. If the other party chooses to provide a refund, they can do so, but it cannot be compelled under law. I am sorry! Sincerely, ***** *****