How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33564
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

HOW LONG DO LAWYERS HAVE TO KEEP FILES IN VA? My lawyers are refusing to give me my files after only 8 months and the VA Bar is doing nothing about it. What is my recourse. My spouse stole all of my files out of my home and I need reproductions.
I have a new attorney and he is hamstrung without the files and I have a trial in 2 months.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.There is no specific law stating all law files have to be kept a certain period of time. Most lawyers keep them at least 4 years though.Your first step is to report the matter to the State Bar and ask for their help in retrieving the files. A law firm is entitled to charge for copies but they also are required to provide copies up on request.If that doesn't work then you can file for an injunction in the courts asking the judge to order that the files be turned over to you by a certain date and time.However, I have never seen a law firm refuse to turn files over after they are contacted by the State Bar so that should work.

Related Family Law Questions