Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is it true a single mother can refuse the single father visitation

Customer Question
of a child until the...
Is it true a single mother can refuse the single father visitation of a child until the father goes to court and files for paternity and visitation rights? This is in Texas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/30/2015
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Yes, that is essentially true in Texas. When two parents are not married, the biological father must establish paternity before he has any rights. He can also establish paternity by signing an agreement with the mother or a voluntary acknowledgment. But if she won't agree to that, he needs to get a court order.
Here is more information on establishing paternity in Texas.
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/files/cs/Paternity_CSandYou.pdf
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer