How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife and I were filing a joint divorce, but she cannot

Customer Question

My ex wife and I were filing a joint divorce, but she cannot come to an agreement as to paying half of the cost for traveling or meeting half way when It's my time to spend time with our children, she has now pulled back from filing our paperwork. She lives in Las Vegas NV with our children, I live in california. Our children live with her most of the time, I get them twice and month and I bring them back and forth to california. I get them all summer and we alternate on holidays. Now that she cannot agree on meeting me half way and has decided not to submit our divorce papers I want to file for divorce on my own. Where and how do I do this. Also she is pregnant by the man she lives with now. We have been separated for over two years
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
You can either choose to file in California or Nevada, because you live in CA and she lives in NV. If you file in CA, here are the instructions:
The advantage to filing in CA is that you wouldn't have to travel for court dates. The disadvantage is that CA has fairly liberal alimony laws so you might be on the hook for alimony that might not be ordered in NV.
I would sit down with an attorney in CA, and tell him or her all of the intricacies of the case. They can better advise you as to which state would better.

Related Family Law Questions