How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have been in a common law relationship and a half years,

This answer was rated:

Have been in a common law relationship for 5 and a half years, and have a child together. going to buy a house, and it will be under my name only. If it does not work out with her and I, which hasn't, can I ask her to move out? What are the chances she can keep the house?
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
A common law marriage in Texas is recognized the same as a traditional marriage.
And Texas is a community property state - which means anything you acquire while married is considered marital for the purposes of division if case of a divorce regardless of whose name is ***** *****
I suggest, however, that you can consider consulting with a local attorney to discuss an agreement where she would agree to waiving her rights to that portion of the marital property.
Please remember, I can only answer what you ask. If you have other questions, or need clarification, please let me know. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information. Thank you
Samuel II and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you