Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Have been in a common law relationship and a half years,

Have been in a common...
Have been in a common law relationship for 5 and a half years, and have a child together. going to buy a house, and it will be under my name only. If it does not work out with her and I, which hasn't, can I ask her to move out? What are the chances she can keep the house?
3/3/2015
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
A common law marriage in Texas is recognized the same as a traditional marriage.
And Texas is a community property state - which means anything you acquire while married is considered marital for the purposes of division if case of a divorce regardless of whose name is ***** *****
I suggest, however, that you can consider consulting with a local attorney to discuss an agreement where she would agree to waiving her rights to that portion of the marital property.
Please remember, I can only answer what you ask. If you have other questions, or need clarification, please let me know. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information. Thank you
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law