Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm filing for divorce and we owe over $15k to the IRS for…

I'm filing for divorce and...
I'm filing for divorce and we owe over $15k to the IRS for 2011-2014. This amount was due to her very high income and incorrect withholding. She has agreed to pay 100% of the past due, but how do i protect myself beside making a provision in my divorce
decree and will that even protect me at all?
1/2/2015
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
While if the IRS later were to come after you for the unpaid taxes, you might protect yourself with an Innocent Spouse defense, you are 100% better off getting your soon to be ex to agree in writing in the divorce marital settlement agreement to be 100% responsible. That way, if the IRS does come after you and does not accept the Innocent Spouse defense, you can still go back to the divorce court and ask the judge to award you damages against your ex for the money that the IRS forces you to pay.
Here is the address of the IRS's Innocent Spouse Relief form, if you need it in the future: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-8857,-Request-for-Innocent-Spouse-Relief
Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
I wish you and yours the best this in this New Year,
Doug
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.
I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.
Thanks again.
Doug