Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex boyfriend filed and energency order of protection against…

Customer Question
My ex boyfriend filed and...
My ex boyfriend filed and energency order of protection against me. I have to meet in court in 19 says. This is for continued calling, texting, stopping by his house and calling his new partners new house. If I am guilty of this should I not go to court. If I get a lawyer to come with me how could they help? What does it mean if the order is continued. Does this go on my recorded for future employment. Will my current employee find out.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2015
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 3 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
What you have is a Temporary Order. If you do not go to the hearing and show the court why you are not a threat to him or his new partner then the court will make it permanent by default of your appearance.
The best shot of nipping this in the bud is to appear and tell the court why it should not be made permanent. Once it is made permanent, if can stay in effect for up to 3 years. Generally, once an order in place it will take time and lots of money to have it vacated and you may not be successful.
Having an RO on your record can hinder employment, housing if you rent, school loans, etc.
Your current employer will find out if there is a background check run.
Please remember, I can only answer what you ask. If you have other questions, or need clarification, please let me know. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information. Thank you
How could I contest this information to get it dropped when I did do these things
Hello
Well it is a skill. And you may want to discuss this with a local attorney. But if you did not do it and you are not a threat to them I suggest if you decide to go to court on your own, without an attorney you will not want to appear to be a threat to them
You will need to let them talk to the court and give their side. Do not look at them, do not roll your eyes, or even sigh at what they are saying.
When they are done the court will ask for your side. I suggest, you only address the judge. Again, do not look at them, etc. Your purpose will be to show the court that you are not a threat, have never been a threat and will not in the future be a threat.
I did do these things. If I have a lawyer would he talk on my behalf or would I still need to talk. Are you saying it would be worse to have a lawyer cause it will make me look more "guilty"
Hello
Thank you
A local attorney will help to "lessen the blow" so to speak. And it is possible that the skill to articulate on these matters by an attorney will be better than you trying to show that you are not a threat.
It is better, I suggest, to at least consult with a local criminal defense attorney, so that you can get a better understanding.
If the attorney represents you, you do not need to say anything. Having an attorney does not make you look more "guilty" Everyone guilty or innocent has the right to the best defense they can afford without judgment by the court for having legal counsel.
What are the avarage court fees and lawyer fees and misc. fees for something like this. Just an average
Hello
Thank you
I suggest the court fees could average $100 to $250
And that an attorney to appear in court for you is going to cost $500 or so.
If you want to consult with a local attorney, I suggest, that you can consider contacting the Illinois Bar Association for a legal referral service(###) ###-####