Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband medical bill had a lien placed on it. It is now…

My husband medical bill had...
My husband medical bill had a lien placed on it. It is now 10 years old. Does the hospital have to refile the judgement after 10 years? If not, do we have to pay the bill? Our income cannot be garnished as we both are on Social Security Disability. Thank you. We live in Arkansas...FYI.
1/1/2015
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A judgment in AR is valid for 10 years and may be renewed by filing a motion to renew judgment any time before the 10th year expires. However, if you have been paying on the judgment and signed an agreement to do so, then you need to refer to the agreement you signed, because while the judgment may be expired your agreement can remain valid and thy could sue you for breaching that agreement if you stop paying on that judgment based solely on your agreement.

So, just because the judgment may be expired and they could not enforce the judgment, they could continue to enforce the agreement you actually signed.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them.